1. Everything is Light
Number 1 just had to be Everything is Light. We’ve welcomed over 4000 (so far) into The Subs to experience the spectacle that is Everything is Light, an exhibition built by the wonderful Jack Wimperis. The exhibition transports you from Stroud town centre into a maze that loses you in illusions, trickery and breath-taking art. It beamed (literally) hope through one of the darkest times we have seen. It was a tear-jerker, a safe haven and an escape from the madness outside of it. The exhibition was built with COVID at the forefront of our minds (Jacks mind, should I say). Built with pods around a centre stage, groups of 6 (max) wandered through the maze fully masked to create a safe and comfortable environment for our visitors.
Don’t worry, you haven’t missed out. We will be reopening the exhibition to the public the second it’s safe to do so. Make sure you sign up to our fortnightly newsletter to grab your tickets the second they’re released – we expect a full sell out, again!
2. 4 gigs and a panto with an exclusive studio audience – and live-streamed globally!
It’s crazy to think we managed to pull off actual gigs during 2020. Our audience members sat in their COVID-safe pods around the centre stage inside Everything Is Light, and we had some wicked performers. If you missed them, don’t worry, you can find the HD videos on our Vimeo account.
– Pop of the Tops with Thee Ones – a gig from Thee Ones with a twist. We had Stroud’s own Elvis hosting the evening with some HILARIOUS homemade adverts from real shops in Stroud that threw us right back to the 70’s. If you’ve nothing to do Saturday night (we’re sure you don’t), give it a watch, you won’t regret it.
– An evening with The Achievers – a local blues band put on a wicked performance in the installation AND they’re supporting Mavis Staples here at The Subs next June. Grab your tickets here.
– An evening with Thrill Collins – Thrill Collins are a party band who have performed at Glasto, Westons Cider Festival and LOADS of other very cool events. Using their voices and a handful of instruments, they perform acoustic versions of your favourite party classics, UK garage the occasional DnB. We all want them to come to our summer parties. And no, they’re not a Phil Collins tribute.
– Elvis Blue Hawaii Panto – This one wasn’t live-streamed but my god was it entertaining! We laughed our heads of whilst Elvis and his assistant flew to Hawaii and the rest is history. This family-friendly event was a total hoot with a few adult jokes thrown in there too. We can’t wait to welcome them back for more fun.
3. 4 performances streamed globally in HD
We launched [email protected], hunted down an utterly amazing camera crew and created a TV studio inside our ballroom. We streamed some insane gigs globally including the world-famous Carducci Quartet and have racked up over 15k views so far. This was the first live music we had all heard in a very long time, and it made us all quite emotional (and made us dance, sat down…). You can watch the HD videos by heading to our Vimeo.
4. 3 music videos created from inside everything is light
– Griz-O (in the making)
5. Lit the building yellow in collaboration with the Good Grief project
We were honoured to represent the final day of grief awareness week by lighting our building yellow. After a year full of loss and darkness, we were delighted to offer some light, joy and hope.
6. Welcomed the People’s Republic of Stroud and Stroud Brewery merch
7. Renovated, well, the entire building (before and after pics pending)
And not forgetting, we survived what’s been the toughest year on the events industry. Although we had a productive year (ish), we’re happy to welcome a new one. Bring on 2021. And Happy New Year!